Saturn to be seen at its best on April 28
Zee Media Bureau
Hyderabad: Saturn, the sixth planet from the Sun and the second largest planet in the Solar System after Jupiter will come very close to Earth on April 28 and can be seen directly opposite to the Sun, said Planetary Society of India (PSI) secretary N Raghunandan Kumar.
The planet Saturn will be at opposition with the Sun, and visible at its closest, biggest and brightest from the Earth on April 28. One can see the planet rising from East or South-East, after the Sun sets in the West, Mr. Kumar said.
At midnight, one can see it overhead while in the morning it can be spotted between West and South-West, he added.
The next close encounter will be on May 10, 2014. The last time it occurred was on April 15, 2012.
Saturn will remain close to Earth till June 9 and therefore enabling enthusiasts to watch the planet in almost the same brightness until then. It will also be visible during nights till October 2013.
And without a twinkle, sky lovers can easily spot Saturn with naked eye exactly opposite the Sun between west and southwest direction as it appears like a star.
In order to create awareness about the planet, the PSI is organising a ‘Saturn Observation Campaign India 2013’ between April 28 and October 17. The PSI will conduct observation camps at various points across the state including Hyderabad using astronomical telescopes.
Saturn is a gas giant (made up mostly of hydrogen and helium) with an average radius about nine times that of Earth. While only one-eighth the average density of Earth, but Saturn’s larger volume is over 95 times more massive than Earth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE:CM Fadnavis thanks people of Maharashtra for 'huge' victory as BJP clinches 81 seats; Shiv Sena 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Big setback for Shiv Sena as BJP bags 81 seats in BMC
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway