Soon, reusable rockets for commercial space travel
London: A private space travel company in US claims to have successfully launched its prototype rocket, in a major step towards producing a reusable space vehicle and slash the cost of journey.
California based SpaceX`s Grasshopper reusable rocket took a giant leap for commercial space flight last week when it rose 131 feet and landed safely back on Earth.
The latest launch by the company, which has already run resupply missions to the International Space Station (ISS), is a major step in their ambition to produce a reusable space vehicle, the `Daily Mail` reported.
During the 29-second test flight conducted on December 17, the Grasshopper rocket rose to a height of 131 feet - around ten storeys - and hovered before landing safely on its launch pad using "closed loop thrust vector and throttle control".
The Grasshopper, in its previous two flights, has managed to hover at six feet and 17 feet before settling back down.
"To provide a little perspective on the size of Grasshopper, we added a 6 feet cowboy to the rocket," company`s founder Elon Musk tweeted.
Powered by a Falcon 9 rocket and Merlin 1D engine, the Grasshopper is designed to take off and land vertically - part of SpaceX`s plan to develop a rocket that can return to a launch pad for rapid reuse.
Grasshopper has four steel landing legs with hydraulic dampers and a steel support structure to keep it intact when it settles back down.
Vertical-takeoff space vehicles developed thus far rely on disposable lower stages, which adds millions of dollars to the cost of launching spacecraft into orbit.
The new gen-next reusable rockets that can launch, fly and land would dramatically slash the cost of travelling into space.
Musk declared the launch a success, writing on Twitter: "No problemo".
SpaceX has already achieved the feat of becoming the first private company to launch a successful mission to the ISS, the report said.
Pic Courtesy: SpaceX,Elon Musk and redorbit.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town