South African astronomers discover stars in galactic flare
Cape Town: South African astronomers have discovered the very first known stars in the flared disk of the Milky Way Galaxy.
These stars are situated on the far side of our Galaxy, 80,000 light years from the Earth and beyond the Galactic Centre, Xinhua quoted the South African Astronomical Observatory (SAAO) as saying.
The discovery is important because stars like these will allow astronomers to test theoretical ideas about how galaxies, like the Milky Way in which mankind live, formed.
In particular these stars, which are close to the effective edge of the Milky Way, will help astronomers trace the distribution of the very mysterious dark matter, the SAAO said.
Dark matter is known to be an important component of all galaxies, but its nature and distribution remain elusive.
The five stars involved in this discovery are very special ones, known as Cepheid variables, whose brightness changes regularly on a cycle time of a few days. These Cepheid variables have characteristics that allow their distances to be measured accurately.
A team of astronomers led by professor Michael Feast used observations made with the Southern African Large Telescope (SALT) and the Infrared Survey Facility (IRSF), both at the South African Astronomical Observatory`s (SAAO) site at Sutherland in the Northern Cape, to determine the distances of these stars and hence their locations within our Galaxy.
The majority of stars in our Galaxy, including our own sun, are distributed in a flat disk. Early in the 21st century radio astronomers discovered that hydrogen gas, of which the Galaxy contains a great deal, flared away from the disk at large distances from the Galactic centre, but until now no one knew that stars did the same thing.
These results will be published in detail May 15 in the international journal Nature.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram