Tiny medical robots could one day provide emergency surgery in space
Washington: Tiny medical robots could one day operate inside an astronaut`s body during an emergency in space.
A fist-sized robot is scheduled for its first zero-gravity test in the next several months-one small step toward enabling robotic medical attention for humans stuck on deep-space missions lasting for months.
The compact robot is the product of Virtual Incision and researchers from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, New Scientist reported.
It`s designed to slip inside a person`s body through a small belly button incision-not unlike the dreaded robotic "bug" from `The Matrix`-and inflate the patient`s abdominal cavity with an inert gas to create room to work. Two arms tipped with multiple tools can perforate gastric ulcers, cauterize and suture wounds, or perform emergency appendectomies.
A human operator would control the robot using two Phantom Omni haptic devices that provide feedback, a monitor, and a foot pedal.
Both the surgeon user interface and robot will get a chance to show off human-robotic coordination during a test run aboard a parabolic flight that`s designed to mimic zero-gravity by diving to provide the illusion of weightlessness.
Emergency situations requiring the robot`s assistance would hopefully be rare. But a presentation at the NASA Human Research Program Investigator`s Workshop noted that such medical scenarios have been reported at remote locations during Arctic or Antarctic expeditions and during military submarine service.
That suggests future astronauts and other space explorers could benefit from such technology while living at remote moon bases or Mars colonies far from Earth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi