Two Russian cosmonauts working on ISS to carry out spacewalk
Moscow: Two Russian cosmonauts from the ISS-36/37 crew is expected to carry out a 398-minute spacewalk under a programme of the Russian segment of the International Space Station (ISS).
"Flight engineers, Fyodor Yurchikhin and Alexander Misurkin, are to open the hatches of the Pirs docking module to start working in outer space later Friday.
The spacewalk is expected to last for 6 hours and 38 minutes," a source at the Mission Control Center located near Moscow said.
Both cosmonauts will work overboard in computerized Orlan-MK space suits with liquid-crystalline displays on their chests.
The displays will give them a hint what systems and in what sequence should be controlled prior to leaving the ISS and also what the cosmonauts should do in emergency cases.
This is going to be the second spacewalk for onboard engineer Alexander Misurkin.
Misurkin`s colleague Fyodor Yurchikhin can be called the veteran of extravehicular activity (EVA).
He has spent a total of 37 hours in outer space and has six spacewalks to his credit.
The Russian cosmonauts will start laying down cables for the docking with a multifunctional laboratory module scheduled to arrive at the ISS in December.
Besides, they will install panel N.
2 for implementing the Endurance experiment and soft rails to be used by cosmonauts when they move and work outside the ISS in outer space.
The other members of the ISS-36/37 crew, comprising Russian Pavel Vinogradov, NASA astronauts Karen L.
Nyberg and Chris Cassidy as well as Luca Partition from the European Space Agency, will safeguard their colleagues from the ISS.
The spacewalk is to end at 01:09 Moscow time on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- 'We're ready to execute our plans' - Chilling details emerge as NIA busts 'ISIS' terror module
- Animals owe their social sense to their maternal side!
- Neymar, Douglas Costa named in Brazil's Olympic squad
- Germany desperate to rewrite history against Italy in Euro 2016 quarter-final
- Playing with lives of soldiers? Jawans in Siachen may have been given substandard snow suits to fight -60 deg C