World’s fastest supercomputer is also energy efficient
Washington: Titan, the world’s fastest supercomputer, has also been ranked third in energy efficiency.
Titan came third on the list of the Green500, which was organized by Virginia Tech’s Wu-chun Feng and Kirk Cameron. The Green500 list was announced on Wednesday during the SC12 supercomputing conference in Salt Lake City.
Titan’s position reflects a significant power savings attributable to the system`s hybrid architecture. Titan draws its computing strength from a combination of GPUs, whose pedigree goes back to gaming systems, and traditional CPUs. Because of their unique strength as number-crunchers, GPUs give Titan a tenfold boost in computing power, even though the system draws only modestly more power than a CPU-only system.
"With Titan, ORNL provides an exponential increase in scientific computing power toward predictive capabilities to address complex challenges without significantly increasing energy consumption," noted Jeff Nichols, ORNL associate laboratory director for computing and computational sciences.
The Cray XK7 system contains 18,688 nodes, each with a 16-core AMD Opteron 6274 processor and an NVIDIA Tesla K20X graphics processing unit (GPU) accelerator. Because they handle hundreds of calculations simultaneously, GPUs can go through many more than CPUs in a given time.
Titan also has more than 700 terabytes of memory. By relying on its 299,008 CPU cores to guide simulations and allowing its new NVIDIA GPUs to do the heavy lifting, Titan will enable researchers to run scientific calculations with greater speed and accuracy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!