15 Indian fishermen attacked by Lankan navy
Rameswaram: Fifteen fishermen, who put to sea from here, were on Monday attacked allegedly by Sri Lankan Navy when they were fishing near Dhanuskodi, fisheries department sources said.
The fishermen were fishing near a sand hillock in Indian waters when the Lankan Navy came in two boats and allegedly beat them up with sticks, said Plavumin Thiyakarajan, Assistant Director, Fisheries department.
The Lankan navy personnel told them they were fishing in Lankan waters and sent them back with a warning, officials said.
Meanwhile, the remand of 30 fishermen of Rameswaram and Thangachimadam, lodged in a Sri Lankan prison since their arrest on April 6 on poaching charges, was today extended till May 20 by a court, S Emerite, Thangachimadam fishermen`s association president said.
The Orkaavalthurai court extended the remand of 26 fishermen from Karaikal, arrested on April 5 while fishing near Nagapattinam, also to May 20, U Arulanandam, Pamban fishermen`s association president said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Hillary Clinton holds lead over Donald Trump, but trails him among white voters: poll
- Sensitive data on India's Scorpene submarines leaked
- Second US service member killed in Afghanistan in 2016
- 8 out of 10 French do not want Nicolas Sarkozy back
- EU justice ministers vow to tackle growing radicalisation in Europe