15 Indian fishermen attacked by Lankan navy
Rameswaram: Fifteen fishermen, who put to sea from here, were on Monday attacked allegedly by Sri Lankan Navy when they were fishing near Dhanuskodi, fisheries department sources said.
The fishermen were fishing near a sand hillock in Indian waters when the Lankan Navy came in two boats and allegedly beat them up with sticks, said Plavumin Thiyakarajan, Assistant Director, Fisheries department.
The Lankan navy personnel told them they were fishing in Lankan waters and sent them back with a warning, officials said.
Meanwhile, the remand of 30 fishermen of Rameswaram and Thangachimadam, lodged in a Sri Lankan prison since their arrest on April 6 on poaching charges, was today extended till May 20 by a court, S Emerite, Thangachimadam fishermen`s association president said.
The Orkaavalthurai court extended the remand of 26 fishermen from Karaikal, arrested on April 5 while fishing near Nagapattinam, also to May 20, U Arulanandam, Pamban fishermen`s association president said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed