15 Indian fishermen attacked by Lankan navy
Rameswaram: Fifteen fishermen, who put to sea from here, were on Monday attacked allegedly by Sri Lankan Navy when they were fishing near Dhanuskodi, fisheries department sources said.
The fishermen were fishing near a sand hillock in Indian waters when the Lankan Navy came in two boats and allegedly beat them up with sticks, said Plavumin Thiyakarajan, Assistant Director, Fisheries department.
The Lankan navy personnel told them they were fishing in Lankan waters and sent them back with a warning, officials said.
Meanwhile, the remand of 30 fishermen of Rameswaram and Thangachimadam, lodged in a Sri Lankan prison since their arrest on April 6 on poaching charges, was today extended till May 20 by a court, S Emerite, Thangachimadam fishermen`s association president said.
The Orkaavalthurai court extended the remand of 26 fishermen from Karaikal, arrested on April 5 while fishing near Nagapattinam, also to May 20, U Arulanandam, Pamban fishermen`s association president said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena