24 TN fishermen arrested by Sri Lanka Navy
Rameswaram: Twenty four Indian fishermen were arrested by Sri Lankan naval men when they were fishing near Katchateevu on Wednesday, officials said.
The fishermen were arrested on the charge of intruding into Sri Lankan territory, fisheries department officials and Innocent Fishermen`s Association Arulanandham said.
As many as 785 fishing boats put out to sea, and of them, six boats had been detained and comandeered to Talaimannar Coast of Sri Lanka by the Lankan navalmen, officials said.
This is the first instance of arrest of fishermen after the end of the annual breeding season 45-day ban on mechanised trawling, which began on April 15.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa has been pressing for retrieval of the Katchatheevu island, ceded to Sri Lanka in 1974, to prevent arrests and attacks on Tamil Nadu fishermen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’