24 TN fishermen arrested by Sri Lanka Navy
Rameswaram: Twenty four Indian fishermen were arrested by Sri Lankan naval men when they were fishing near Katchateevu on Wednesday, officials said.
The fishermen were arrested on the charge of intruding into Sri Lankan territory, fisheries department officials and Innocent Fishermen`s Association Arulanandham said.
As many as 785 fishing boats put out to sea, and of them, six boats had been detained and comandeered to Talaimannar Coast of Sri Lanka by the Lankan navalmen, officials said.
This is the first instance of arrest of fishermen after the end of the annual breeding season 45-day ban on mechanised trawling, which began on April 15.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa has been pressing for retrieval of the Katchatheevu island, ceded to Sri Lanka in 1974, to prevent arrests and attacks on Tamil Nadu fishermen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt