Anti-nuke activist booked over blast near Kudankulam plant
Zee Media Bureau
Chennai: The Tamil Nadu police on Wednesday filed a case against anti-nuclear activist SP Uthayakumar and others in connection with Tuesday night`s explosion at Idinthakarai in Tamil Nadu.
Six people, including two children, died when a locally-made bomb exploded in a house.
Uthayakumar, the head of the anti-nuclear People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy, his associates Pushparayan, Mukilan and `others` have been booked under different sections of IPC and Explosive Substances Act, top police sources said.
They have been booked for offences including culpable homicide not amounting to murder and criminal conspiracy among others, the sources said. PMANE is spearheading the protests against the Kudankulam nuclear power plant in Tirunelveli.
A Home Ministry spokesman said in New Delhi that the country-made bomb went off "accidentally" when some miscreants were making the explosive in their hut at around 1840 hours in Idinagarai Tsunami colony, about 15 km from the nuclear power plant.
A senior official of the Department of Atomic Energy said the plant is running fine and is safe.
People of Idinthakarai, the hub of protests against KNPP, backed by People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy, have been agitating for more than two years, demanding its closure.
Unit-1 had attained criticality on July 13 this year following protests against the project by anti-nuclear activists in areas around the complex, citing safety reasons.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics?
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part II
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part III
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part IV
- Why is Mehbooba Mufti attacking Hindu beliefs for votes?
- Captured: Witness 70 tiger sharks ripping apart a dead whale! - Watch video
- Indian Premier League 2016, Match 56: Delhi Daredevils vs Royal Challengers Bangalore — As it happened...
- Revealed! Alia Bhatt to essay the role of a rape victim in 'Udta Punjab'
- This Gurudwara in Iran is a must-visit for Indians, PM Modi too visited on Sunday
- Check out: 7 ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL things to do in Kovalam beach, Kerala!