Anti-nuke activists to lay seize of Kudankulam N-plant
Tirunelveli: Anti-nuclear activists will on Monday hold massive protests outside the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project (KNPP) amid reports that the Centre is likely to commission the facility by the end of this month.
According to reports, the anti-nuke activists will try to block the roads leading up to the plant site and lay siege from the seaside.
Today’s protest comes days after the Atomic Energy Regulatory Body gave a go ahead to test the performance of various systems of the reactor despite protests in the region.
The activists had on October 8 held a massive protest, demanding the scrapping of the project.
Fishermen and supporters from 10 fishing hamlets are also expected to join the protest.
Unfazed by the protests, preparatory works are on a full swing at Kudankulam in Tamil Nadu`s Tirunelveli district, as the commissioning of the plant is expected during the visit of Russian President Vladimir Putin this month-end.
Atomic Energy Regulatory Board has already granted the plant its permission for the `second heat up` - a process which will put to performance tests various systems of the nuclear reactor.
"We are busy with the preparatory works at the plant. But every step has to be reviewed by AERB. But it is possible to start the operation by the end of this month," official sources had said.
Commissioning of the first unit of the Indo-Russian project was originally scheduled for December last year but has been delayed due to protests.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview