Anti-nuke activists to lay seize of Kudankulam N-plant
Tirunelveli: Anti-nuclear activists will on Monday hold massive protests outside the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project (KNPP) amid reports that the Centre is likely to commission the facility by the end of this month.
According to reports, the anti-nuke activists will try to block the roads leading up to the plant site and lay siege from the seaside.
Today’s protest comes days after the Atomic Energy Regulatory Body gave a go ahead to test the performance of various systems of the reactor despite protests in the region.
The activists had on October 8 held a massive protest, demanding the scrapping of the project.
Fishermen and supporters from 10 fishing hamlets are also expected to join the protest.
Unfazed by the protests, preparatory works are on a full swing at Kudankulam in Tamil Nadu`s Tirunelveli district, as the commissioning of the plant is expected during the visit of Russian President Vladimir Putin this month-end.
Atomic Energy Regulatory Board has already granted the plant its permission for the `second heat up` - a process which will put to performance tests various systems of the nuclear reactor.
"We are busy with the preparatory works at the plant. But every step has to be reviewed by AERB. But it is possible to start the operation by the end of this month," official sources had said.
Commissioning of the first unit of the Indo-Russian project was originally scheduled for December last year but has been delayed due to protests.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Read: What Salman Khan has to say about Akshay's 'Singh Is Bliing'