Be wary of hasty reform announcements: Karuna to UPA
Chennai: Cautioning the Congress-led UPA government against making any `hasty` announcements in the name of reforms, key ally DMK on Friday said decisions should be based on deep consultations and prospects.
"My opinion is that hasty decisions and announcements in the name of economic reforms should be avoided. They should be taken after deep consultations and keeping in mind the future prospects of the country," DMK president M Karunanidhi said.
Responding to a set of questions in party organ "Murasoli," he cited lack of consensus among UPA ministers over the proposed National Investment Board (NIB) and said media opinions were also against it.
The proposed NIB, touted as the next major economic reform by the Manmohan Singh government and backed by Finance Minister P Chidambaram, is expected to act as a catalyst for large projects, including roads, petroleum and mines.
It has, however, come under flak from Union Environment Minister Jayanthi Natarajan and KC Deo holding the Tribal Affairs portfolio.
Karunanidhi, whose DMK is the second largest UPA constituent with 18 Lok Sabha MPs, continued to voice concern against FDI.
Recalling excerpts from a speech by his nephew and party colleague, late `Murasoli` Maran, he said the former had argued against FDI as early as in 1992 in Rajya Sabha. "His remarks are valid even today and therefore we have to fit them in today`s context."
Karunanidhi, who had criticised External Affairs Minister SM Krishna for writing to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh against release of Cauvery water by Karnataka to Tamil Nadu, describing it as a big mistake, said the same applied to Corporate Affairs Minister M Veerappa Moily for his similar views.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...