Be wary of hasty reform announcements: Karuna to UPA
Chennai: Cautioning the Congress-led UPA government against making any `hasty` announcements in the name of reforms, key ally DMK on Friday said decisions should be based on deep consultations and prospects.
"My opinion is that hasty decisions and announcements in the name of economic reforms should be avoided. They should be taken after deep consultations and keeping in mind the future prospects of the country," DMK president M Karunanidhi said.
Responding to a set of questions in party organ "Murasoli," he cited lack of consensus among UPA ministers over the proposed National Investment Board (NIB) and said media opinions were also against it.
The proposed NIB, touted as the next major economic reform by the Manmohan Singh government and backed by Finance Minister P Chidambaram, is expected to act as a catalyst for large projects, including roads, petroleum and mines.
It has, however, come under flak from Union Environment Minister Jayanthi Natarajan and KC Deo holding the Tribal Affairs portfolio.
Karunanidhi, whose DMK is the second largest UPA constituent with 18 Lok Sabha MPs, continued to voice concern against FDI.
Recalling excerpts from a speech by his nephew and party colleague, late `Murasoli` Maran, he said the former had argued against FDI as early as in 1992 in Rajya Sabha. "His remarks are valid even today and therefore we have to fit them in today`s context."
Karunanidhi, who had criticised External Affairs Minister SM Krishna for writing to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh against release of Cauvery water by Karnataka to Tamil Nadu, describing it as a big mistake, said the same applied to Corporate Affairs Minister M Veerappa Moily for his similar views.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended