Cyclone Thane to hit Puducherry, TN tomorrow: IMD
New Delhi: A severe cyclone packing wind speed of over 129 km per hour is expected to hit Puducherry and four Tamil Nadu districts in the wee hours Friday bringing heavy rains to the region.
Cyclone Thane, which has been brewing in the Bay of
Bengal since Sunday, is expected to impact Puducherry and
Tamil Nadu districts -- Chennai, Kanchipuram, Tiruvallur and
Villupuram -- between 4 a.m. and 6 a.m. tomorrow, IMD Director
General Ajit Tyagi said here.
The weather officer has advised local administrations to
evacuate people from low-lying areas as thatched roofs and
huts are likely to be damaged extensively and escape routes
are also likely to be flooded.
"Storm surge of about 1-1.5 meter height would inundate
the low lying areas of Puducherry and Chennai, Tiruvallur,
Kanchipuram and Villupuram districts at the time of landfall,
he said, adding that the standing crops of rice, maize and
groundnut may be damaged.
The weather office has also asked for complete suspension
of fishing operations.
Though Thane currently has an wind-speed of about 140 km
per hour, it may weaken slightly and strike the coast with a
speed of about 120 km per hour bringing widespread rains.
"Farmers are advised to drain out excess water from the
field to prevent crop damage. For taller crops like banana,
the leaves may be removed and extra physical support may be
given," he said.
A weather scientist said the cyclone Thane would probably
be half in intensity than that of the super-cyclone that
struck Orissa in 1999 which packed wind speed of more than 220
km per hour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?