Death of six sailors: Two directors of Mumbai shipping firm held
Chennai: Four months after the death of six sailors of an oil tanker that ran aground here during a cyclone, two directors of the Mumbai-based shipping company have been arrested in Pune by the Tamil Nadu Police in connection with the case.
Madan Anand Rao Pawar and Suresh Anand Rao Pawar of the Pratibha Shipping Company Ltd were arrested yesterday by a special team probing the incident.
The duo were brought here on a transit warrant from a Pune court and were produced before a city court, which today remanded them to 15 days judicial custody, police said.
With this, the number of those arrested in the case has risen to four. Police had earlier arrested two local agents of the oil tanker Pratibha Cauvery, in November.
The ship had run aground on October 31 last year under the impact of strong winds when cyclone Nilam struck the Chennai coast.
Six of its sailors died after the lifeboat in which they were escaping capsized.
During investigation, it was ascertained that the Pratibha Shipping Company, Mumbai and its agents, the Chennai-based Sea World Shipping and Logistics Private Limited had "knowingly failed to rectify the repairs" in the life boat. They also allegedly failed to save the lives of the crew members in distress, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack