DMDK seeks Congress support for Rajya Sabha polls
Chennai: A day after the main opposition party DMDK entered the fray for the June 27 biennial elections to the Rajya Sabha from Tamil Nadu, the party approached the Congress seeking support for its candidate.
"Five DMDK MLAs met me and gave me a letter, which requested Congress support for their candidate in the RS polls. I have forwarded the letter to Delhi... Party high command will take a decision on it," Tamil Nadu Congress Committee president B S Gnanadesikan told a news agency.
DMDK, headed by actor-turned-politician Vijayakant, has fielded party treasurer A R Elangovan as its candidate and biennial elections for six Rajya Sabha seats from the state seems headed for a contest.
The ruling AIADMK is already assured of four seats with its strength of 151 members in the 234-member state Assembly.
With Chief Minister Jayalalithaa agreeing to withdraw the candidature of her party`s K Thangamuthu, who was nominated for the fifth seat, in favour of CPI`s D Raja, he is expected to gain the required 34 votes for victory.
The DMDK and DMK are now set to fight for the sixth seat in the polls with the latter having renominated Kanimozhi, party supremo Karunanidhi`s daughter.
Though DMDK has 29 members in the 234-seat Assembly, seven of them are considered dissidents.
Following is the party position in the assembly: AIADMK 151, DMDK 29, DMK 23, CPM 10, CPI 8, CONG 5, PMK 3, MMK 2, Puthiya Thamilagam 2, All India Forward Bloc 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened