DMK members suspended from assembly for rest of session
Chennai: DMK members were today suspended from the Tamil Nadu assembly for the rest of the session as the House was rocked by noisy scenes with the Treasury benches sparring with them on the Sri Lankan Tamils issue.
Agitated DMK members were on their feet opposing Local Administration Minister KP Munusamy`s remarks against their party chief M Karunanidhi on the Lankan Tamils issue.
Deputy Speaker R Jayaraman was in the Chair when the Minister made the remarks, with some DMK MLAs trooping near him, prompting him to summon the Marshals to order their eviction en masse.
Congress members staged a walkout as various Ministers, who intervened, charged the Congress-led UPA with showing little concern towards the plight of Lankan Tamils.
Congress member K Gopinath later informed the House of the various pro-Tamil measures taken up by the Centre including a Rs 500 crore grant and taking up of housing projects for the internally displaced Tamils.
Meanwhile, Speaker P Dhanapal said the conduct of the DMK MLAs was not in consonance with the dignity of the House and they had used objectionable words and remained standing near the Chair. They had democratic means to register their protest, he said.
He said he was suspending them for the rest of the session which is scheduled to end tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves