Dr Subramaniam made DMK in charge in Puducherry
Chennai: Ahead of the local body polls in neighbouring Puducherry, DMK today appointed Dr MAS Subramaniam as the party in-charge.
He will replace DMK leader and former Chief Minister R V Janakiraman, who has since quit as Convenor of the party`s Puducherry unit on health grounds.
DMK general secretary K Anbazhagan appealed to other existing office-bearers to jointly work with the new appointee.
A party statement here said DMK chief M Karunanidhi held a meeting of his Puducherry office-bearers today.
The move comes in the wake of reports of revolt against Janakiraman by a section of the local unit in the backdrop of the party`s unimpressive show in last year`s Assembly polls, clinched by the NR Congress.
The Puducherry State Election Commission had recently told the Madras High Court that the polls for local bodies will be conducted and results declared before January 15, 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister