Four Sri Lankan Tamils arrested
Rameswaram: Four Sri Lankan Tamils, including two women, were arrested Wednesday after they arrived here without proper documents in an illegal ferry, a senior police official said.
On questioning, the four claimed they were "forced to leave the island nation due to scarcity of food and high price of essential commodities there", Kennedy, "Q" branch police Inspector, said.
The four were from different families of Vavuniya and Jaffna in Sri Lanka.
The refugees, Shanthi, Malar, Sabesh and Subbiah, had paid Rs 20,000 each as ferry charges to drop them at Arichal Munai, a sand dune off Danushkodi, Kennedy said.
The four were sent to refugee camp at Mandapam near here after registering cases under Indian Passport Act, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Controversial 'godman' Baba Parmanand arrested for sexual exploitation of women
- Really? Shahid Kapoor got 'high' on coffee for 'Udta Punjab'
- Shocking! When an Indigo flight nearly landed on a road in Jaipur
- NEET: Now, World Psychiatric Association opposes National Eligibility and Entrance Test in regional languages - Know why
- Hundreds of Noida homebuyers left in the lurch as Supertech expressway project scrapped