HC notice to Centre on plea for action against industrialist
Madurai: A petition has been filed in Madurai Bench of Madras High Court seeking to take action against a Tamil Nadu-based industrialist and officials of concerned ministries over his reported public claim that he had obtain clearance for his proposal to mine beach sand by paying bribe.
When the petition came up for hearing, Justice R.Subbiah ordered notice to Ministries of Environment and Forest and Mines, Chief Vigilance Commissioner and CBI and posted the case after two weeks.
Petitioner D Dhaya Devadas claimed that S Vaikundarajan, Managing Director of V V Minerals, openly admitted at a recent meeting of an Ore Panel, convened by Chemical Allied Products Export Promotion Council (CAPEXIL), that he gave "money" to officials of Environment and Forest Ministry and obtained the environment clearance for beach sand mining in Tuticorin District.
Stating that both himself and Vaikundarajan were members of CAPEXIL, the petitioner said the former made the "confession" during the meeting at a hotel in Chennai on November 12, 2010.
He claimed Vaikundarajan went ahead with his speech though Joint Director of CAPEXIL Suresh Babu cautioned that the proceedings were being recorded.
The petitioner, a partner in a mineral company, said those who received bribe for environment clearance should also be identified and brought to justice.
He submitted that despite him sending a representation to concerned officials, including Chief Vigilance Commissioner and CBI, along with transcripts of the CAPEXIL proceedings, no action had been taken.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof