Houses of rapists` targeted in Coimbatore, people stage picketing
Coimbatore: Some people on Sunday targeted the houses of two of the five accused in the rape of a 13-year-old girl here, by pelting stones and demanding stringent action against them.
Residents of Ramanathapuram in the city, where the girl was staying, also staged a dharna in the area, demanding that the case be expedited, so that all culprits, three of whom were aged between 55 and 70, get the harshest punishment, police said.
Earlier, some people hurled stones at the house of an accused, a 70-year-old retired compounder, who had allegedly administered an injection to make the girl unconscious, at the behest of the maternal uncle before sexually assaulting her, police said.
They also targeted the house of another accused, a 58-year -old man.
Meanwhile, 25 Youth Congress workers were taken into custody while attempting to picket near the city railway station, with some demanding capital punishment for the accused, police said.
Five persons, including the maternal uncle of the girl, were arrested yesterday on charges of sexually abusing her during the last one month.
The girl met the city Police Commissioner yesterday and lodged a complaint stating that her maternal uncle, under whose care she has been left by her parents, and four others had allegedly sexually abused her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid