Houses of rapists` targeted in Coimbatore, people stage picketing
Coimbatore: Some people on Sunday targeted the houses of two of the five accused in the rape of a 13-year-old girl here, by pelting stones and demanding stringent action against them.
Residents of Ramanathapuram in the city, where the girl was staying, also staged a dharna in the area, demanding that the case be expedited, so that all culprits, three of whom were aged between 55 and 70, get the harshest punishment, police said.
Earlier, some people hurled stones at the house of an accused, a 70-year-old retired compounder, who had allegedly administered an injection to make the girl unconscious, at the behest of the maternal uncle before sexually assaulting her, police said.
They also targeted the house of another accused, a 58-year -old man.
Meanwhile, 25 Youth Congress workers were taken into custody while attempting to picket near the city railway station, with some demanding capital punishment for the accused, police said.
Five persons, including the maternal uncle of the girl, were arrested yesterday on charges of sexually abusing her during the last one month.
The girl met the city Police Commissioner yesterday and lodged a complaint stating that her maternal uncle, under whose care she has been left by her parents, and four others had allegedly sexually abused her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC