Karuna requests suspension period of DMDK MLAs be reduced
Chennai: Describing the 6-month suspension of six DMDK MLAs for allegedly assaulting a dissident party legislator in Tamil Nadu assembly as "maximum punishment," DMK chief M Karunanidhi today requested that the punishment be further reduced.
In a statement here, he also recalled various instances of fracas and violence in the assembly but indicated that never was anyone suspended for one year (the original suspension period awarded to DMDK members on Monday.)
"The reducing of suspension period from one year to six months is also maximum punishment. I hope they come forward to reconsider the suspension period and reduce it to a few weeks or days. I request them to do so," he said.
He recalled that two different factions of AIADMK had assaulted each other using microphones, while an AIADMK member was once assaulted a PMK legislator and both were suspended for three days.
In 1989, AIADMK supremo Jayalalithaa, the then opposition leader, had protested against him, the then Chief Minister, presenting the budget while an AIADMK member tore up the budget.
"When I tried to prevent that, my spectacles fell down and broke. Minister Veerapandi S Arumugam was attacked and sustained injuries and AIADMK MLAs who were involved were suspended for one week," he said.
However, he had two days later sought to withdraw the ruling as he placed importance on the Opposition attending the House proceedings, Karunanidhi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video