Karuna requests suspension period of DMDK MLAs be reduced
Chennai: Describing the 6-month suspension of six DMDK MLAs for allegedly assaulting a dissident party legislator in Tamil Nadu assembly as "maximum punishment," DMK chief M Karunanidhi today requested that the punishment be further reduced.
In a statement here, he also recalled various instances of fracas and violence in the assembly but indicated that never was anyone suspended for one year (the original suspension period awarded to DMDK members on Monday.)
"The reducing of suspension period from one year to six months is also maximum punishment. I hope they come forward to reconsider the suspension period and reduce it to a few weeks or days. I request them to do so," he said.
He recalled that two different factions of AIADMK had assaulted each other using microphones, while an AIADMK member was once assaulted a PMK legislator and both were suspended for three days.
In 1989, AIADMK supremo Jayalalithaa, the then opposition leader, had protested against him, the then Chief Minister, presenting the budget while an AIADMK member tore up the budget.
"When I tried to prevent that, my spectacles fell down and broke. Minister Veerapandi S Arumugam was attacked and sustained injuries and AIADMK MLAs who were involved were suspended for one week," he said.
However, he had two days later sought to withdraw the ruling as he placed importance on the Opposition attending the House proceedings, Karunanidhi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown