Karuna requests suspension period of DMDK MLAs be reduced
Chennai: Describing the 6-month suspension of six DMDK MLAs for allegedly assaulting a dissident party legislator in Tamil Nadu assembly as "maximum punishment," DMK chief M Karunanidhi today requested that the punishment be further reduced.
In a statement here, he also recalled various instances of fracas and violence in the assembly but indicated that never was anyone suspended for one year (the original suspension period awarded to DMDK members on Monday.)
"The reducing of suspension period from one year to six months is also maximum punishment. I hope they come forward to reconsider the suspension period and reduce it to a few weeks or days. I request them to do so," he said.
He recalled that two different factions of AIADMK had assaulted each other using microphones, while an AIADMK member was once assaulted a PMK legislator and both were suspended for three days.
In 1989, AIADMK supremo Jayalalithaa, the then opposition leader, had protested against him, the then Chief Minister, presenting the budget while an AIADMK member tore up the budget.
"When I tried to prevent that, my spectacles fell down and broke. Minister Veerapandi S Arumugam was attacked and sustained injuries and AIADMK MLAs who were involved were suspended for one week," he said.
However, he had two days later sought to withdraw the ruling as he placed importance on the Opposition attending the House proceedings, Karunanidhi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli