Lankan Navy takes 22 fishermen into custody
Rameswaram: Twenty-two fishermen from
Jagadapattinam and other coastal villages in Pudukottai
district were on Wednesday taken into custody by Sri Lankan naval
personnel when they were fishing near Katchatheevu in the
Palk Straits, officials said.
Inspector of Fisheries Ramamurthy said they had received
information about the detention of the fishermen and the
Indian Coast Guard had been informed.
The Sri Lankan naval men, when contacted by the Coast
Guard, informed them that the fishermen would be handed over
to the CG at the International Maritime Boundary line,
Ramamurthy said. But they asked them not to come today as
the sea was rough on their side, he said.
The Navy personnel had told the Coast Guard that they
would inform them as soon as the sea was normal, he said.
On December 15, five fishermen were taken into custody by
Sri Lankan Navy when they were fishing near Katchatheevu but
were released in the night. Last month, five fishermen were
arrested by the Lankan Navy on drug smuggling charges and
their judicial remand has been extended to January 2.
The families of the arrested fishermen had observed a fast
on December 17, demanding that steps be taken for their
immediate release. Local fishermen had also refused to put to
sea till a solution was found.
Meanwhile, search has been launched to trace three
fishermen missing for the last four days, officials said.
Katchatheevu is an islet ceded to Sri Lanka by India in
1974. Local fishermen have for long been demanding restoration
of traditional fishing rights near Katchatheevu and protection
to them from attacks allegedly by Lankan navy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?