Lankan personnel being trained in different states: Govt
New Delhi: India was training armed forces personnel from Sri Lanka in different states of the country including Tamil Nadu as part of exchanges with neighbouring
countries, Rajya Sabha was informed Wednesday.
"Yes, training exchanges are conducted between armed forces personnel of India and various neighbouring countries including Sri Lanka... In Tamil Nadu, two Sri Lankan personnel are being trained at Defence Services Staff College, Wellington," Defence Minister A K ANtony said in a written reply.
The question on the issue was put by DMK MP Kanimozhi, whose party along with Tamil Nadu Chief Minister and AIADMK chief J Jayalalithaa have been demanding the expulsion of Sri Lankan armed forces personnel from India.
More than 450 personnel from Sri Lankan armed forces are undergoing training at the defence establishments in India including in Bangalore, Kannur and Belgaum, according to Defence Ministry sources.
Recently, the Tamil Nadu Chief Minister had written a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh demanding the expulsion of the two Sri Lankan officers who were being trained at DSSC, Wellington.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video