Lankan personnel being trained in different states: Govt
New Delhi: India was training armed forces personnel from Sri Lanka in different states of the country including Tamil Nadu as part of exchanges with neighbouring
countries, Rajya Sabha was informed Wednesday.
"Yes, training exchanges are conducted between armed forces personnel of India and various neighbouring countries including Sri Lanka... In Tamil Nadu, two Sri Lankan personnel are being trained at Defence Services Staff College, Wellington," Defence Minister A K ANtony said in a written reply.
The question on the issue was put by DMK MP Kanimozhi, whose party along with Tamil Nadu Chief Minister and AIADMK chief J Jayalalithaa have been demanding the expulsion of Sri Lankan armed forces personnel from India.
More than 450 personnel from Sri Lankan armed forces are undergoing training at the defence establishments in India including in Bangalore, Kannur and Belgaum, according to Defence Ministry sources.
Recently, the Tamil Nadu Chief Minister had written a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh demanding the expulsion of the two Sri Lankan officers who were being trained at DSSC, Wellington.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know