Lankan personnel being trained in different states: Govt
New Delhi: India was training armed forces personnel from Sri Lanka in different states of the country including Tamil Nadu as part of exchanges with neighbouring
countries, Rajya Sabha was informed Wednesday.
"Yes, training exchanges are conducted between armed forces personnel of India and various neighbouring countries including Sri Lanka... In Tamil Nadu, two Sri Lankan personnel are being trained at Defence Services Staff College, Wellington," Defence Minister A K ANtony said in a written reply.
The question on the issue was put by DMK MP Kanimozhi, whose party along with Tamil Nadu Chief Minister and AIADMK chief J Jayalalithaa have been demanding the expulsion of Sri Lankan armed forces personnel from India.
More than 450 personnel from Sri Lankan armed forces are undergoing training at the defence establishments in India including in Bangalore, Kannur and Belgaum, according to Defence Ministry sources.
Recently, the Tamil Nadu Chief Minister had written a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh demanding the expulsion of the two Sri Lankan officers who were being trained at DSSC, Wellington.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Is it Hardik Patel in this viral MMS Sex Video?