Lankan personnel being trained in different states: Govt
New Delhi: India was training armed forces personnel from Sri Lanka in different states of the country including Tamil Nadu as part of exchanges with neighbouring
countries, Rajya Sabha was informed Wednesday.
"Yes, training exchanges are conducted between armed forces personnel of India and various neighbouring countries including Sri Lanka... In Tamil Nadu, two Sri Lankan personnel are being trained at Defence Services Staff College, Wellington," Defence Minister A K ANtony said in a written reply.
The question on the issue was put by DMK MP Kanimozhi, whose party along with Tamil Nadu Chief Minister and AIADMK chief J Jayalalithaa have been demanding the expulsion of Sri Lankan armed forces personnel from India.
More than 450 personnel from Sri Lankan armed forces are undergoing training at the defence establishments in India including in Bangalore, Kannur and Belgaum, according to Defence Ministry sources.
Recently, the Tamil Nadu Chief Minister had written a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh demanding the expulsion of the two Sri Lankan officers who were being trained at DSSC, Wellington.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Kohli-Dhoni stand keeps India in hunt
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: After his sacking, Ramgopal Yadav writes to Mulayam, says 'you're surrounded by evil forces'
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes