Lankan personnel being trained in different states: Govt
New Delhi: India was training armed forces personnel from Sri Lanka in different states of the country including Tamil Nadu as part of exchanges with neighbouring
countries, Rajya Sabha was informed Wednesday.
"Yes, training exchanges are conducted between armed forces personnel of India and various neighbouring countries including Sri Lanka... In Tamil Nadu, two Sri Lankan personnel are being trained at Defence Services Staff College, Wellington," Defence Minister A K ANtony said in a written reply.
The question on the issue was put by DMK MP Kanimozhi, whose party along with Tamil Nadu Chief Minister and AIADMK chief J Jayalalithaa have been demanding the expulsion of Sri Lankan armed forces personnel from India.
More than 450 personnel from Sri Lankan armed forces are undergoing training at the defence establishments in India including in Bangalore, Kannur and Belgaum, according to Defence Ministry sources.
Recently, the Tamil Nadu Chief Minister had written a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh demanding the expulsion of the two Sri Lankan officers who were being trained at DSSC, Wellington.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Trump vows to begin deportations immediately if sworn in
- British PM to trigger EU pull-out `without parliament vote`
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio