Madras HC allows submission of evidence amid claim
Madurai: The Madras High Court bench here Wednesday allowed a petitioner, who had lost elections for the post of Sedapatti Panchayat Union Vice chairman, to submit videotaped evidence, supporting his claim that he had lost the election due to violence while counting.
The videotape was played in the Open court hall of Justice S Tamilvanan by counsel for petitioner M Srinivasan, who was a councillor.
Srinivasan submitted that he had contested against Ward 8 councillor Shanthakumari.The election was held on November 30 last year. On the same day, the votes polled were counted and the counting process was viodegraphed.
Srinivasan contended that of the 18 votes polled,10 were in his favour and Shanthakumari secured seven votes. One vote was declared invalid.But Shanthakumari refused to accept the results and picked up a quarrel during which she allegedly tore the ballot papers in the presence of other councillors. Subsequently, the election process was called off by the presiding officer.
Then a criminal complaint was filed against Shanthakumari at the Sedapatti Police Station.
Srinivasan prayed that the court declare him elected to the post of Vice Chairman in view of the violence.
Justice Tamilvanan allowed the videotapes to be played in the court hall in the presence of lawyers and mediapersons. Later,the videotape was sealed and kept in the court’s custody. The case has been adjourned to December 14.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day