Madras HC allows submission of evidence amid claim
Madurai: The Madras High Court bench here Wednesday allowed a petitioner, who had lost elections for the post of Sedapatti Panchayat Union Vice chairman, to submit videotaped evidence, supporting his claim that he had lost the election due to violence while counting.
The videotape was played in the Open court hall of Justice S Tamilvanan by counsel for petitioner M Srinivasan, who was a councillor.
Srinivasan submitted that he had contested against Ward 8 councillor Shanthakumari.The election was held on November 30 last year. On the same day, the votes polled were counted and the counting process was viodegraphed.
Srinivasan contended that of the 18 votes polled,10 were in his favour and Shanthakumari secured seven votes. One vote was declared invalid.But Shanthakumari refused to accept the results and picked up a quarrel during which she allegedly tore the ballot papers in the presence of other councillors. Subsequently, the election process was called off by the presiding officer.
Then a criminal complaint was filed against Shanthakumari at the Sedapatti Police Station.
Srinivasan prayed that the court declare him elected to the post of Vice Chairman in view of the violence.
Justice Tamilvanan allowed the videotapes to be played in the court hall in the presence of lawyers and mediapersons. Later,the videotape was sealed and kept in the court’s custody. The case has been adjourned to December 14.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video