Mahatma Gandhi wanted to dissolve Congress?
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Tuesday presented documentary evidence to Congress members in the state Assembly to validate her minister`s argument that Mahatma Gandhi wanted to dissolve the century-old political party after Independence.
Responding to a demand by some Congress members, who had sought proof that Mahatma Gandhi had advocated dissolving of Congress after Independence, Jayalalithaa stunned them by reading out excerpts from `The Collected Works of Mahatma Gandhi - Volume 90.`
"Though split into two, India having attained political independence through means devised by the Indian National Congress, the Congress in its present shape and form, i.E., as a propaganda vehicle and parliamentary machine had outlived its use," the CM read out, embarrassing the Congress members.
During a discussion yesterday, Municipal Administration and Rural Development Minister K P Munusamy had said Gandhi wanted to dissolve Congress after independence, a contention refuted by Congress members S Vijayadharani and Prince.
They claimed Gandhi had never said anything on those lines and demanded proof from the minister, who said it is history and there is no need to produce any proof.
However, Jayalalithaa came up with proof to vindicate her minister`s stand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Team India, South Africa arrive for second T20 match
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?