Major Varadarajan cremated with full state honours
Chennai: The body of Major Mukund Varadarajan, who was killed during an encounter with terrorists in Shopian area of Kashmir last Friday, was on Monday cremated with full state honours.
Tamil Nadu Minister TKM Chinnaya and senior officials paid their last respects to the martyred Armyman.
Bereaved family members were present on the occasion.
The body, brought here from Kashmir late last night, was kept at the Officers Training Academy hospital for the public to pay their last respects.
State Governor K Rosaiah expressed shock and grief over the death.
The nation, especially the Indian Army, has lost a brave and young promising officer and his death is an irreparable loss, he said in a release today, condoling the death.
A wreath was placed on the body on behalf of the Governor, the Raj Bhavan release said.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had yesterday expressed grief over the death of Varadarajan and announced a solatium of Rs 10 lakh to the bereaved family.
Major Varadarajan was killed along with a jawan in the encounter.
Security forces had launched a search operation in Karewa Malino in Shopian, 55 km from Srinagar on April 25, following information about presence of three militants - two locals and one foreigner.
The encounter ended on Saturday morning. The bodies of three militants were also recovered.
Official sources said Chinnaya handed over the cheque of Rs 10 lakh to Varadarajan`s family.
DMK leader and party treasurer MK Stalin expressed grief over the death.
The Major is survived by wife Indu Mukund and three-year-old daughter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...