Major Varadarajan cremated with full state honours
Chennai: The body of Major Mukund Varadarajan, who was killed during an encounter with terrorists in Shopian area of Kashmir last Friday, was on Monday cremated with full state honours.
Tamil Nadu Minister TKM Chinnaya and senior officials paid their last respects to the martyred Armyman.
Bereaved family members were present on the occasion.
The body, brought here from Kashmir late last night, was kept at the Officers Training Academy hospital for the public to pay their last respects.
State Governor K Rosaiah expressed shock and grief over the death.
The nation, especially the Indian Army, has lost a brave and young promising officer and his death is an irreparable loss, he said in a release today, condoling the death.
A wreath was placed on the body on behalf of the Governor, the Raj Bhavan release said.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had yesterday expressed grief over the death of Varadarajan and announced a solatium of Rs 10 lakh to the bereaved family.
Major Varadarajan was killed along with a jawan in the encounter.
Security forces had launched a search operation in Karewa Malino in Shopian, 55 km from Srinagar on April 25, following information about presence of three militants - two locals and one foreigner.
The encounter ended on Saturday morning. The bodies of three militants were also recovered.
Official sources said Chinnaya handed over the cheque of Rs 10 lakh to Varadarajan`s family.
DMK leader and party treasurer MK Stalin expressed grief over the death.
The Major is survived by wife Indu Mukund and three-year-old daughter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe