Mixed response to DMK-backed TESO strike
Chennai: Hundreds of DMK workers, including its Treasurer MK Stalin, were arrested on Tuesday as part of the dawn-to-dusk general strike by the party-backed pro-Sri Lankan Tamil outfit TESO which evoked mixed response with normal life by and large remaining unaffected in Tamil Nadu.
Police said no untoward incidents were reported as part of the 12 hour strike called by Tamil Ealam Supporters` Organisation (TESO) to exert more pressure on New Delhi to support a US-sponsored resolution against Sri Lanka at the United Nations Human Rights Council.
DMK chief M Karunanidhi, who had revived TESO last year floated by him in the 1980s, had called for peaceful protests.
In Chennai, Stalin, Dravidar Kazhagam leader K veeramani and Viduthalai Chiruthaaigal Katchi founder and Lok Sabha MP Thol.Thirumavalavan were arrested when they staged a road-blockade, police said.
DMK workers took to various forms of protests including rail-blockade in various parts of the state and shouted slogans against Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa.
Some shops were closed in several parts of the state but life remained largely normal in Chennai and elsewhere with government buses and trains operating smoothly.
The strike call evoked lukewarm response in the industrial districts of Coimbatore and Tirupur besides in Madurai.
In the hill district of Nilgiris, shops were closed in Gudalur, Kothagiri and Coonoor, affecting normal life, while commercial units remained open at Udhagamandalam,the major tourist spot in the district. Vehicles plied as usual.
In Coimbatore, Small and Medium industries were divided on the support for the strike. Some of them struck work while for many others it was business as usual.
The strike call evoked good response in the neighbouring union territory of Puduchery, governed by the AINRC party.
Many DMK activists were taken into custody even as most shops remained closed in response to the strike call.
Superintendent of Police S Ramaraj told a news agency two buses belonging to the State Transport Corporation were stoned on the outskirts of Puducherry in the wee hours today.
Meanwhile, students of various colleges in Chennai and some parts of Tamil Nadu continued with their protests seeking independent probe against Colombo for alleged war crimes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM