Mullaperiyar issue: TNSTC cancels buses to Kerala
Coimbatore: Fearing attacks in neighbouring
Kerala over the Mullaperiyar dam issue, Tamil Nadu State
Transport Corporation (TNSTC) on Monday cancelled its bus services
to the state from here.
TNSTC cancelled all buses from here to Palakkad, Guruvayoor
and Thrissur in Kerala, following reports of attacks in the
neighbouring state on buses bearing Tamil Nadu registration,
mainly keeping the safety of passengers in mind, official
TNSTC buses coming from other districts going to Kerala via
Coimbatore were also asked not to ply for security reasons,
they said. They did not elaborate whether the cancellation of
bus service would continue tomorrow.
The sudden decision has affected the movement of large
number of daily passengers towards Kerala.
Meanwhile, shops, bakeries and eateries, run by Keralites
in nearby Tirupur district downed shutters for two days
starting from today, condemning the attitude of Kerala on the
Through posters put up near their closed shops, they
appealed to the Kerala government to allow the people from
Kerala to earn their livelihood and to live peacefully in
Tamil Nadu, without involving in or inciting violence against
Tamils there, police said.
The vessel manufacturing units in Anupparpalayam on Tirupur
outskirts also stopped production for one day, expressing
solidarity with the Tamil Nadu government on the dam issue.
The units also wanted the Centre to immediately commission
the Koodankulam Nuclear Power Project in order to "save them
from power shortage," police added.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Vijay Mallya says in forced exile, no plans to return to India
- Now, 'Find Time' for your meetings using Google Calendar
- Cancel your train ticket on phone or via SMS through these easy steps
- Not getting visa? This Balaji temple can help you fly abroad
- Rahul Gandhi visits ailing Sushma Swaraj at AIIMS