Protester against rape dies after self-immolation
Coimbatore: A 38-year old man, who set himself ablaze on the premises of a court in nearby Tirupur district protesting the increasing rape incidents in the country, died at a hospital here on Monday.
Raju, running a tea shop, had attempted self-immolation at the court premises in Palladam on January 3, raising slogans against rape. He suffered third degree burns and was admitted to the government hospital here.
However, his condition worsened this morning and he died without responding to treatment, police said.
The man`s action in a court premises came amid the raging public outcry against the gang-rape and subsequent death of a 23-year-old paramedical student in Delhi and demands for stringent action to curb crimes against women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read