Protester against rape dies after self-immolation
Coimbatore: A 38-year old man, who set himself ablaze on the premises of a court in nearby Tirupur district protesting the increasing rape incidents in the country, died at a hospital here on Monday.
Raju, running a tea shop, had attempted self-immolation at the court premises in Palladam on January 3, raising slogans against rape. He suffered third degree burns and was admitted to the government hospital here.
However, his condition worsened this morning and he died without responding to treatment, police said.
The man`s action in a court premises came amid the raging public outcry against the gang-rape and subsequent death of a 23-year-old paramedical student in Delhi and demands for stringent action to curb crimes against women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Ravindra Jadeja gets engaged to Rajkot-based mechanical engineer Reeva Solanki
- Smoking hot! Deepika Padukone's first look in 'xXx' with Vin Diesel creates storm!
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out