RS polls: DMK to hold talks with other parties
Chennai: DMK will hold consultations with other political parties over fielding a candidate for the June 27 Rajya Sabha Elections being held for six seats.
DMK supremo M Karunanidhi on Thursday presided over a meeting of party MLAs to discuss the issue, with four more days left for the deadline for filing of nomination papers.
Emerging from the meeting, Karunanidhi replying to queries from mediapersons, said, "We have not taken a decision so far. DMK will take an appropriate decision at an appropriate time".
Asked whether DMK had sought the support of CPI(M), he said "We have not sought the support of any particular party. We will talk to all parties."
Declining to divulge anything further, he said "there are four more days to file nominations".
DMK has a strength of 23 members in the 234-member Assembly.
Each winning candidate needs 34 first preference votes to get elected.
Ruling AIADMK has fielded five candidates, though it has the strength to easily win four seats, apparently indicating it is making efforts to garner another seat.
Of these five candidates, the ruling party is assured of netting four on its own by virtue of its 151 MLAs in the Tamil Nadu Assembly, whose total strength is 234.
The principal opposition DMDK led by actor turned politician Vijayakant has not finalised plans over contesting the sixth seat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...