Sri Lanka destroying Tamil culture: Karunanidhi
Chennai: India should take efforts to stop Sri Lanka from destroying Tamil culture and Hindu religion in the island nation, DMK president M Karunanidhi has said.
In a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress chief Sonia Gandhi Saturday, copies of which were released to the media here Sunday, Karunanidhi said: "As the world`s largest democracy and a country of diverse languages and religions, India has a moral obligation to stop this atrocity immediately by using its good offices."
Sri Lankan is carrying out an intensive and systematic programme of erasing the Tamil language, culture, religion and diluting the concentration of Tamils in areas where they had historically been predominant, Karunanidhi alleged.
He said the Sri Lankan government is renaming Tamil villages and redrawing village, district and town boundaries while Hindu temples are being razed.
Karunanidhi said the Sri Lankan government is not allocating funds for resettlement and rehabilitation of internally displaced Tamil families.
The Sri Lankan government is promoting "Sinhala settlements on Tamil land and Sinhala takeover of the economic life of Tamil areas, which improvises the Tamils and the deployment of army camps to intimidate the Tamils..."
According to him, 89 Tamil villages have been renamed with Sinhala names, 367 Hindu temples have been demolished and there are 148 mini and 13 army camps in the war-ravaged Mullaitivu district alone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- BCCI for transparency in awarding IPL media rights
- Cow vigilantism? Two Dalits thrashed in Gujarat for refusing to clear carcass of calf
- 'Arvind Kejriwal fooling people of Goa by making tall promises'
- Kashmir like volcano about to erupt, says AK Antony
- Union Minister Prakash Javadekar clarifies on Nehru, Patel gaffe - Here's what he said