Stupidest thing: G Madhavan Nair on charges against him
Coimbatore: Former ISRO chief G Madhavan Nair on Monday termed as "the stupidest thing to happen to anybody", the charges levelled against him over the Antrix-Devas deal.
"That is the stupidest thing to happen to anybody," he told reporters to a specific question on his indictment over the ISRO-Devas deal.
He, however, refused to elaborate his statement as the case is sub-judice.
Nair, who was addressing students of Sri Krishna Institution on `technological challenges for national development`, also refused to comment on ISRO`s Man Moon Mission, a project proposed by him.
However, he said there should be more budget allocation for such projects and also leadership of calibre to take forward such a mission.
On February 4, 2012 a committee set up by ISRO indicted Nair and three other senior scientists, who were barred from holding any government posts, for "acts of commission" in the deal.
The report prepared by a five-member committee headed by Pratyush Sinha, former Chief Vigilance Commissioner said the deal lacked transparency and recommended action against Nair, A Bhaskaranarayana, K R Sridhara Murthi and K N Shankara -- all of whom have retired.
It said the terms of Antrix-Devas contract "were heavily loaded in favour of Devas".
Antrix is ISRO`s commercial venture and Devas is a private firm and the controversial deal has since been annulled.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information