Supreme Court declines to stay Jallikattu
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday refused to stay Tamil Nadu`s traditional bull fight Jallikattu for the upcoming festival of Pongal starting next month.
A bench comprising justices K S Radhakrishnan and Dipak Misra did not accept the plea made by the Animal Welfare Board that in view of the untoward incidents during the last season, the continuance of Jallikattu must be stayed.
The Tamil Nadu government opposed the Board`s plea saying that Jallikattu was allowed after putting in place stringent conditions, including forming a medical board.
The court said it will hear the matter on January 9.
In the past, the apex court had been critical of the bull fight in which the animals are subjected to cruelty but had allowed during the Pongal season keeping the tradition in the mind.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video