Supreme Court declines to stay Jallikattu
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday refused to stay Tamil Nadu`s traditional bull fight Jallikattu for the upcoming festival of Pongal starting next month.
A bench comprising justices K S Radhakrishnan and Dipak Misra did not accept the plea made by the Animal Welfare Board that in view of the untoward incidents during the last season, the continuance of Jallikattu must be stayed.
The Tamil Nadu government opposed the Board`s plea saying that Jallikattu was allowed after putting in place stringent conditions, including forming a medical board.
The court said it will hear the matter on January 9.
In the past, the apex court had been critical of the bull fight in which the animals are subjected to cruelty but had allowed during the Pongal season keeping the tradition in the mind.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...