Supreme Court declines to stay Jallikattu
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday refused to stay Tamil Nadu`s traditional bull fight Jallikattu for the upcoming festival of Pongal starting next month.
A bench comprising justices K S Radhakrishnan and Dipak Misra did not accept the plea made by the Animal Welfare Board that in view of the untoward incidents during the last season, the continuance of Jallikattu must be stayed.
The Tamil Nadu government opposed the Board`s plea saying that Jallikattu was allowed after putting in place stringent conditions, including forming a medical board.
The court said it will hear the matter on January 9.
In the past, the apex court had been critical of the bull fight in which the animals are subjected to cruelty but had allowed during the Pongal season keeping the tradition in the mind.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!