Tension in Rameswaram after clash
Rameswaram (TN): Tension prevailed in this
temple town after two groups clashed with deadly weapons following a wordy duel over transportation of pilgrims in autorickshaw forcing the residents and pilgrims remain indoors tonight.
Two persons were injured and they had been hospitalised, police said.
Police said one of the injured had been "kidnapped" and he had been rescued by police and admitted to hospital.
Police said a lodge, a wedding hall and a petrol bunk were damaged in the attack by the gangs.
DIG Ramasubramanian and SP Mayilvahanan said a small clash had erupted last night between two groups after a wordy duel over whose autorickshaw should be engaged by a pilgrim.
The clash snow balled into an armed battle between the two groups, who attacked each others target. They damaged a house of a local bjp functionary also.
Heavy police force had been deployed in the town and two officials in the rank of SP were camping in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'