TN fishermen arrest: Centre adopting soft approach, says Karuna
Chennai: DMK president M Karunanidhi on Sunday slammed the Centre for adopting a "soft approach" on the issue of recurring attacks on Tamil Nadu fishermen unlike its "active" stand on the issue of killing of two Kerala fishermen allegedly by Italians marines.
"While the Centre showed active and keen interest in taking up at all levels the killing of two Kerala fishermen, it is painful to see it taking a soft approach toward Sri Lankan Naval personnel who constantly harass the Tamil Nadu fishermen," he said.
Karunanidhi, whose party pulled out from the ruling UPA last month on the Sri Lankan Tamils issue, said it would not be wrong to expect the Centre to take a "fair and reasonable" approach without any differentiation between Tamil Nadu fishermen and their Kerala counterparts.
Noting that there has been sudden spurt in the attacks on Tamil fishermen by Sri Lankan Navy, Karunanidhi, writing in his party organ "Murasoli" said, such an approach by the Lankan Navy was "highly condemnable".
He said it was also not "wrong" to seek from Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa measures in protecting the state fishermen as done by her Kerala counterpart Oommen Chandy, who he said took "active efforts" over the marines issue.
Karunanidhi`s statement comes in the backdrop of the arrest of 56 Tamil Nadu fishermen by Sri Lankan Navy in the last two days and seizure of their boats on charges of fishing in the island nation`s waters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi