TN govt allots Rs 150 cr for education dept buildings
Chennai: In a bid to improve higher education in the state, the Tamil Nadu government today allotted Rs 150 crore for buildings for the education department.
Making a suo motu statement in the Assembly, Chief Minister Jayalalithaa said the department buildings, hostels and other infrastructures such as drinking water tanks and power stations would be constructed in Madurai, Coimbatore, Tirunelveli, Dindigul, Ramanathapuram, Tuticorin, Nagercoil, Thanjavur and Cuddalore districts.
A Research and Education Centre would be set up at a cost of Rs 25 lakh each in Madras, Madurai Kamaraj, Bharathiar, Bharathidasan, Annai Teresa Women`s, Alagappa, Manonmaniam Sundaranar, Periyar and Tiruvalluvar universities, the Chief Minister said.
Jayalalithaa said two government engineering colleges and 10 government polytechnic colleges would soon start functioning from this year.
An engineering college at Srirangam near Tiruchirapalli and a polytechnic college at Cheyyar in Tiruvannamalai district would be started this year, she said.
A total of 12 arts and science colleges, including one entirely for women, would be functional this year, she said.
An arts and science college for women at Veppur in Perambalur district and another at Tittakudi in Cuddalore district would also be started this year, Jayalalithaa said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda