TN suspends beach mineral mining, probe ordered
Chennai: Tamil Nadu government on Tuesday ordered a probe to ascertain if irregularlities have occurred in 71 large mineral quarries engaged in extraction of beach minerals in the state and suspended operations till its completion.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa, following up on her action against allegations of illegal mining of beach minerals like Garnet, Ilmenite and Rutile in Tuticorin District, ordered a probe in large mineral quarries in Tirunelveli, Kanniyakumari, Madurai and Tiruchi districts.
"A policy decision on large mineral quarries would be taken after the receipt of the report on these quarries," she said in a statement here.
A special team headed by Revenue Secretary Gagandeep Singh Bedi, which also included six sub-committees and comprising top officials from revenue, environment and forests besides geology and mining, that went into charges of illegal beach sand mining in Tuticorin, would study the 71 quarries.
Earlier on Tuesday, Bedi submitted a report to Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on mining in Tuticorin District after field studies in August.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof