Two women drown, many others feared washed away
Cuddalore: Two women drowned and many other villagers were feared washed away when an overcrowded country boat capsized in Oppanaru River in the district early Saturday morning.
Police said eight persons had been rescued by locals and hospitalised while 16 others - 10 women and six children - swam to safety.
Fire service personnel have launched a search for the missing persons. It was not clear as to how many persons were on the boat when it capsized.
The villagers, hailing from Sangilikuppam in the district, were returning home after participating in a temple festival at coastal Nochikuppam last night when the mishap occurred, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'