Two women drown, many others feared washed away
Cuddalore: Two women drowned and many other villagers were feared washed away when an overcrowded country boat capsized in Oppanaru River in the district early Saturday morning.
Police said eight persons had been rescued by locals and hospitalised while 16 others - 10 women and six children - swam to safety.
Fire service personnel have launched a search for the missing persons. It was not clear as to how many persons were on the boat when it capsized.
The villagers, hailing from Sangilikuppam in the district, were returning home after participating in a temple festival at coastal Nochikuppam last night when the mishap occurred, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery