Two women drown, many others feared washed away
Cuddalore: Two women drowned and many other villagers were feared washed away when an overcrowded country boat capsized in Oppanaru River in the district early Saturday morning.
Police said eight persons had been rescued by locals and hospitalised while 16 others - 10 women and six children - swam to safety.
Fire service personnel have launched a search for the missing persons. It was not clear as to how many persons were on the boat when it capsized.
The villagers, hailing from Sangilikuppam in the district, were returning home after participating in a temple festival at coastal Nochikuppam last night when the mishap occurred, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- China tornado, hailstorm toll rises to 99, at least 840 injured
- David Headley liked Osama's theory on women!
- Modi's stern warning to tax evaders: Comply by Sept 30 or get ready to face harsh measures
- WATCH: ROCKSTAR! Virat Kohli steals the show in Premier Futsal League anthem
- IIFA 2016: Madrid applauds 'Best Actor' Ranveer Singh for 'Bajirao Mastani', actor feels grateful!