VCK wants CBI probe into Dharmapuri violence
Coonoor (TN): Viduthalai Chiruthaigal Katchi a Dalit-based political party in Tamil Nadu, Sunday sought CBI probe into the recent violence in Dharmapuri district, targeting Dalit colonies, in which more than 250 huts were set on fire earlier this month.
"We have no trust in the local police inquiry," VCK chief, Tol Tirumavalavan told reporters here.
Police and senior officials reached the spot after six hours of the incident, which continued for nearly three hours, with Caste-Hindus burning the huts and indulging in arson, and remained mute spectators, he alleged.
A total of 268 houses were torched, 54 vehicles destroyed, jewels and valuables looted in the violence unleashed on November seven allegedly by Caste Hindus after a man committed suicide over his daugther marrying a Dalit man of Natham Colony.
Claiming that Dalits and oppressed classes were not getting justice in Tamil Nadu, he alleged that atrocities on these classes were on the rise of late.
The party will move the court against the violence to get justice to the innocent people and also approach National Human Rights Commission and SC/ST Cell, Thirumavalavan, a Lok Sabha MP, said.
Replying to a question on training being reportedly imparted to Sri Lankan officials in a Defence college at Wellington near here, Thirumavalavan, an `Eelam` supporter, said he was totally opposed to training being provided to Lankan officials anywhere on Indian soil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan