VCK wants CBI probe into Dharmapuri violence
Coonoor (TN): Viduthalai Chiruthaigal Katchi a Dalit-based political party in Tamil Nadu, Sunday sought CBI probe into the recent violence in Dharmapuri district, targeting Dalit colonies, in which more than 250 huts were set on fire earlier this month.
"We have no trust in the local police inquiry," VCK chief, Tol Tirumavalavan told reporters here.
Police and senior officials reached the spot after six hours of the incident, which continued for nearly three hours, with Caste-Hindus burning the huts and indulging in arson, and remained mute spectators, he alleged.
A total of 268 houses were torched, 54 vehicles destroyed, jewels and valuables looted in the violence unleashed on November seven allegedly by Caste Hindus after a man committed suicide over his daugther marrying a Dalit man of Natham Colony.
Claiming that Dalits and oppressed classes were not getting justice in Tamil Nadu, he alleged that atrocities on these classes were on the rise of late.
The party will move the court against the violence to get justice to the innocent people and also approach National Human Rights Commission and SC/ST Cell, Thirumavalavan, a Lok Sabha MP, said.
Replying to a question on training being reportedly imparted to Sri Lankan officials in a Defence college at Wellington near here, Thirumavalavan, an `Eelam` supporter, said he was totally opposed to training being provided to Lankan officials anywhere on Indian soil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown