Woman who posed as `District Collector` of Chennai arrested
Salem (TN): A woman who posed as the `District Collector` of Chennai and conned people over a period of time has been arrested at Edapadi town, police said on Saturday.
They said the matter came to light when the 26-year-old woman went to a hospital there yesterday, to `question` some persons.
At the hospital, she displayed her fake identity card, which bore a forged state government emblem, and said she wanted to question four people injured in clashes between neighbours over a right to a pathway, police said, adding, she also reportedly threatened some doctors.
However hospital staff grew suspicious over her behaviour and informed police, who later rushed to the spot and questioned her.
She then confessed that she had been posing as a fake collector for some time and had cheated a number of people.
The woman was arrested and a case has been lodged against her under various sections of the Indian Penal Code.
Police said her husband was running a browsing centre in the town and had defaulted in repaying bank loans.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video