Puducherry airport likely to go on stream by Aug
Puducherry: Puducherry is likely to be put on the air map in August with the construction work on the airport expected to be completed by next month, Chief Minister N Rangasamy said on Wednesday.
The airport being developed by the Airports Authority of India at Lawspet here was likely to go on stream in August and ATR 72 aircraft can be operated from it to various places, he told reporters here after inspecting the work.
Flight services would be available from here to destinations like Goa, Madurai, Bangalore, Tirupati, Hyderabad, Vishakhapatnam, Thiruvanathapuram and Kochi. Talks are on with some of private airline to operate services.
Rangasamy said nearly 80 per cent of the work had been completed and remaining would be over by June.
It was likely that air services from Puducherry would be available from August. "Talks are on with certain private players including Jet Airways, Kingfisher and SpiceJet to operate the services," he said.
Official sources said Rs 56 crore had been provided by the Centre for the construction of airport which has a 1,500-m -long runway. The Puducherry government acquired the site at an outlay of Rs 18 crore. The terminal cost Rs 19 crore.
Puducherry, a former French colony, has become a tourist hub and every year around 80,000 tourists visit it between April and August.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion