13 communal clashes in UP in 8 months: Akhilesh
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh has witnessed 13 incidents of communal tension, including one in Muzaffarnagar, from March to October this year, Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav said in a written reply in the Assembly on Monday.
"From March to October 31, 13 incidents of communal tension took place in Sambhal, Bijnor, Bahraich, Etah, Shamli, Saharanpur, Meerut, Kannauj, Ghazipur, Unno, Pilibhit, Bagpat and Muzaffarnagar," Yadav said in his written reply to a question of BJP member Satish Mahana.
Directives were issued by the government to control such incidents and maintain communal harmony, he said.
In written reply to another question of BJP member Shyamdeo Roy Chowdhury regarding celebratory firing, Yadav said that in past three years (from 2011 till November 20, 2013) 164 such incidents were reported from across the state.
While 71 people were killed, 121 people were injured in separate incidents of celebratory firing during this period, he said, adding that celebratory firing has been completely banned and strict directives have been issued to check them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?