2007 serial blast accused dies in UP; 42 cops booked
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Sunday, May 19, 2013, 09:50
  
Zee Media Bureau

Lucknow: A day after an accused in a serial blasts case in Uttar Pradesh died of 'heat stroke', 42 policemen were booked on Sunday in the case.

Khalid Mujahid, an accused in the serial blasts at Uttar Pradesh's Faizabad in 2007, died when he was being taken back to the Lucknow prison after a hearing at a Faizabad court, police said. A probe has been ordered into the case.

Meanwhile, Mujahid's family lodged an FIR today against the 42 policemen, who were part of the special task force and the anti-terror squad that had nabbed the terror accused.

The accused fell sick and fainted near Barabanki border and was rushed to district hospital where doctors declared him dead last evening, he said.

Confirming the death, Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIG), Faizabad, Dharmendra Singh Yadav told a news agency that Mujahid apparently died of heat while in transit.

For every hearing, Mujahid, along with other accused - Tariq Qazmi, Mohammad Akhtar and Sajjad ur Rehman - were taken to the Faizabad court under high security from Lucknow prison. He was one of the accused for whom the state government had recommended withdrawal of cases, a move which was quashed by a Barabanki court earlier this week.

An embarrassed state government has ordered a high level probe into the death.

A late night communiqué from the Chief Minister's office said a committee comprising the home secretary, an additional director general of police (ADG) and an inspector general of police (IG) has been set up for the purpose.

(With IANS inputs)


First Published: Sunday, May 19, 2013, 09:50


comments powered by Disqus