After attacks on policemen, UP replaces rifles with revolvers
Lucknow: Rattled by the growing attacks on policemen, the Uttar Pradesh government has decided to provide constables on duty with pistols and revolvers, an official said Wednesday.
Sources said the decision to dump the British era .303 rifles was taken after a go-ahead from Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.
The chief minister ordered an assessment of the security and weaponry of the force after the June 15 attack on policemen in Firozabad which left two constables dead.
Officials said 2,500 pistols and revolvers have been ordered and will soon be handed to policemen across the state in a phased manner.
Some constables in Lucknow have already been given the new weapons.
Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Lucknow, Praveen Kumar, said these light weapons will be used in picket duties, crime detection teams and by constables escorting prisoners.
Guard constables, those on security parameters outside vantage installations and on escort duty of VIPs will be using the AK-47s, the officer said.
The move is being seen as a giant step in protecting the men inkhakhi who have been under attack from criminals in the last one year.
More than two dozen policemen have been shot on duty in the past two years. These include Pratapgarh deputy superintendent of police Zia-ul-Haq who was lynched by an angry mob.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG