Allahabad Railway Station stampede: Toll rises to 37
Allahabad: A 65-year-old Kumbh pilgrim who was seriously injured in the stampede at the railway station here, succumbed to injuries after battling for his life close to a week, taking the toll in the tragedy to 37.
Chandrashekhar Pandey, who hailed from Satna in Madhya Pradesh, breathed his last at the Swarup Rani Nehru Hospital in the city late last night, hospital sources said.
Pandey had been admitted as an unidentified patient to the hospital on February 10 with grievous head injuries barely few hours after the stampede, they said.
His identity was established a few days ago when his wife visited the hospital looking for him, they said.
The deceased had been grievously injured when he was on his way home after attending the Kumbh Mela for a holy dip on `Mauni Amavasya`, they said.
Besides, eight lives have been claimed in various fire-related incidents at the Kumbh Mela.
A sadhu was charred to death in a fire yesterday.
Seven persons among the 19 injured in a fire that broke out on January 25 have so far succumbed to their injuries.
Five persons died while undergoing treatment reportedly at the Safdarjung Hospital in Delhi, while two have succumbed at the Swarup Rani Nehru Hospital, the Kumbh administration said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!