Badaun gang-rape: UN chief appalled, Centre says situation in UP deplorable
Zee Media Bureau/Biplob Ghosal
New Delhi: While the United Nations chief Ban Ki-Moon on Wednesday said that he is appalled by the brutal rape and murder of two teenaged girls in India`s Badaun district and demanded urgent action in the case, the Centre also said that the law and order situation in Samajwadi Party-ruled Uttar Pradesh is deplorable.
Taking note of the recent rape cases in Uttar Pradesh, Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiran Rijiju said the situation in the state is a matter of concern.
The Centre`s reaction comes after several horrific sexual assault cases have been reported in the last few days from UP.
The most shocking is the Badaun gang-rape case. The two girls, aged 14 and 15 years, were abducted, gang-raped and murdered on May 27 when they went to relieve themselves in a field. Their bodies were later found hanging from a tree.
In another case, a woman judge was raped and an attempt was made to kill her in Aligarh, police said on Tuesday.
A 15-year-old girl was allegedly murdered and her body was found hanging from a tree in Misrikh area of the district.
Under intense criticism over Badaun gang-rape case, UP Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav yesterday said a Google search would show such crimes occurring across the country.
Yadav made the assertion as he accused the media of playing up incidents taking place in UP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan