Badaun gang-rape: UN chief appalled, Centre says situation in UP deplorable
Zee Media Bureau/Biplob Ghosal
New Delhi: While the United Nations chief Ban Ki-Moon on Wednesday said that he is appalled by the brutal rape and murder of two teenaged girls in India`s Badaun district and demanded urgent action in the case, the Centre also said that the law and order situation in Samajwadi Party-ruled Uttar Pradesh is deplorable.
Taking note of the recent rape cases in Uttar Pradesh, Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiran Rijiju said the situation in the state is a matter of concern.
The Centre`s reaction comes after several horrific sexual assault cases have been reported in the last few days from UP.
The most shocking is the Badaun gang-rape case. The two girls, aged 14 and 15 years, were abducted, gang-raped and murdered on May 27 when they went to relieve themselves in a field. Their bodies were later found hanging from a tree.
In another case, a woman judge was raped and an attempt was made to kill her in Aligarh, police said on Tuesday.
A 15-year-old girl was allegedly murdered and her body was found hanging from a tree in Misrikh area of the district.
Under intense criticism over Badaun gang-rape case, UP Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav yesterday said a Google search would show such crimes occurring across the country.
Yadav made the assertion as he accused the media of playing up incidents taking place in UP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Seven hospitalized in California stabbing at neo-Nazi rally
- I respect martyrdom but you're trained to kill enemy, not to die - Manohar Parrikar told jawans
- Pampore attack: Did CRPF ignore specific intelligence input from Jammu and Kashmir Police?
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here