BJP leader Samarpal Singh killed in road accident
Lucknow: BJP leader and former legislator from Uttar Pradesh Samarpal Singh on Monday died in a road accident in Meerut.
The accident occurred near Chota Hassanpur in Meerut early this morning when his car rammed into a truck, killing 54-year-old Samarpal on the spot, police said.
Samarpal was elected from Lok Dal ticket from Barnawa seat in Meerut in 2002 Assembly elections. He switched over to BJP during the last Assembly elections and contested from Shivalkhas assembly seat but lost.
He was a member of the state executive of the party and had been two time MLA and MLC.
He entered in politics as a student leader from Lucknow University and held the post of Students` union president.
Condoling his death, Uttar Pradesh BJP spokesman Vijay Bahadur Pathak said with his death the party "lost a great leader, who always stood against system in the interest of common man.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre