BJP leaders meet Guv over increasing rape cases in UP
Lucknow: Accusing the Uttar Pradesh government of failing to check increasing cases of sexual assault on women, a BJP delegation on Tuesday met Governor BL Joshi and sought his intervention into the matter.
Led by state president Laxmi Kant Bajpai, the delegation handed over a seven-point memorandum to Joshi and requested his interfere as the protector of Constitution to deal with the crisis, BJP state spokesperson Vijay Bahadur Pathak said.
Pathak claimed cases of crime against women have sharply gone up and as many as 337 cases have been reported under the present regime, with Samajwadi Party`s own ministers and MLAs facing allegations of rape, said Pathak.
Suggesting steps towards ensuring speedy justice for rape victims, the party demanded that FIRs should be registered in all complaints and they should be referred to fast-track courts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof