BJP leaders meet Guv over increasing rape cases in UP
Lucknow: Accusing the Uttar Pradesh government of failing to check increasing cases of sexual assault on women, a BJP delegation on Tuesday met Governor BL Joshi and sought his intervention into the matter.
Led by state president Laxmi Kant Bajpai, the delegation handed over a seven-point memorandum to Joshi and requested his interfere as the protector of Constitution to deal with the crisis, BJP state spokesperson Vijay Bahadur Pathak said.
Pathak claimed cases of crime against women have sharply gone up and as many as 337 cases have been reported under the present regime, with Samajwadi Party`s own ministers and MLAs facing allegations of rape, said Pathak.
Suggesting steps towards ensuring speedy justice for rape victims, the party demanded that FIRs should be registered in all complaints and they should be referred to fast-track courts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick