BJP leaders meet Guv over increasing rape cases in UP
Lucknow: Accusing the Uttar Pradesh government of failing to check increasing cases of sexual assault on women, a BJP delegation on Tuesday met Governor BL Joshi and sought his intervention into the matter.
Led by state president Laxmi Kant Bajpai, the delegation handed over a seven-point memorandum to Joshi and requested his interfere as the protector of Constitution to deal with the crisis, BJP state spokesperson Vijay Bahadur Pathak said.
Pathak claimed cases of crime against women have sharply gone up and as many as 337 cases have been reported under the present regime, with Samajwadi Party`s own ministers and MLAs facing allegations of rape, said Pathak.
Suggesting steps towards ensuring speedy justice for rape victims, the party demanded that FIRs should be registered in all complaints and they should be referred to fast-track courts.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij