BJP workers block arrest of party MLA booked in Muzaffarnagar riots
Dehradun: BJP workers on Saturday blocked the arrest of party MLA Bhartendu Singh by Uttar Pradesh Police here after he was among the four party legislators booked in connection with the Muzaffarnagar riots.
A UP Police team reached Singh`s Malisi residence here to arrest him but a large number of party workers led by BJP`s Mussoorie MLA Ganesh Joshi arrived there and asked the police to produce an arrest warrant.
But the police team said they were there in Uttarakhand capital to arrest Singh on the basis of an FIR lodged in connection with the Muzaffarnagar riots in which Singh was accused of delivering a hate-speech which allegedly fuelled the riots.
"The people who have come to arrest me have not been able to anwser why I am being arrested and on what basis...There are no documents or papers, no facts on the basis of which the arrest is sought to be made," Singh said.
Joshi told PTI that the FIR which was "politically motivated" could not be a basis for arresting Singh, an MLA from Bijnore. He said party workers would not allow the police to arrest Singh unless they produce a relevant document or an arrest warrant.
A report from Muzaffarnagar said the police is looking for the four BJP MLAs against whom police have registered cases. Besides Singh, the others are Legislative Party leader Hukkum Singh, Sangeet Som and Suresh Rana from Thana Bhawan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- PSL 2016 T20, Match 7: Quetta Gladiators vs Peshawar Zalmi – Key players