BJP workers block arrest of party MLA booked in Muzaffarnagar riots
Dehradun: BJP workers on Saturday blocked the arrest of party MLA Bhartendu Singh by Uttar Pradesh Police here after he was among the four party legislators booked in connection with the Muzaffarnagar riots.
A UP Police team reached Singh`s Malisi residence here to arrest him but a large number of party workers led by BJP`s Mussoorie MLA Ganesh Joshi arrived there and asked the police to produce an arrest warrant.
But the police team said they were there in Uttarakhand capital to arrest Singh on the basis of an FIR lodged in connection with the Muzaffarnagar riots in which Singh was accused of delivering a hate-speech which allegedly fuelled the riots.
"The people who have come to arrest me have not been able to anwser why I am being arrested and on what basis...There are no documents or papers, no facts on the basis of which the arrest is sought to be made," Singh said.
Joshi told PTI that the FIR which was "politically motivated" could not be a basis for arresting Singh, an MLA from Bijnore. He said party workers would not allow the police to arrest Singh unless they produce a relevant document or an arrest warrant.
A report from Muzaffarnagar said the police is looking for the four BJP MLAs against whom police have registered cases. Besides Singh, the others are Legislative Party leader Hukkum Singh, Sangeet Som and Suresh Rana from Thana Bhawan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark