BJP workers block arrest of party MLA booked in Muzaffarnagar riots
Dehradun: BJP workers on Saturday blocked the arrest of party MLA Bhartendu Singh by Uttar Pradesh Police here after he was among the four party legislators booked in connection with the Muzaffarnagar riots.
A UP Police team reached Singh`s Malisi residence here to arrest him but a large number of party workers led by BJP`s Mussoorie MLA Ganesh Joshi arrived there and asked the police to produce an arrest warrant.
But the police team said they were there in Uttarakhand capital to arrest Singh on the basis of an FIR lodged in connection with the Muzaffarnagar riots in which Singh was accused of delivering a hate-speech which allegedly fuelled the riots.
"The people who have come to arrest me have not been able to anwser why I am being arrested and on what basis...There are no documents or papers, no facts on the basis of which the arrest is sought to be made," Singh said.
Joshi told PTI that the FIR which was "politically motivated" could not be a basis for arresting Singh, an MLA from Bijnore. He said party workers would not allow the police to arrest Singh unless they produce a relevant document or an arrest warrant.
A report from Muzaffarnagar said the police is looking for the four BJP MLAs against whom police have registered cases. Besides Singh, the others are Legislative Party leader Hukkum Singh, Sangeet Som and Suresh Rana from Thana Bhawan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends