BSP allows workers to contest local body polls as independents
Lucknow: Reviewing its earlier decision, BSP on Saturday allowed its workers and office bearers to contest the upcoming urban local bodies polls as independent candidates.
BSP national president Mayawati has accepted requests from the party workers for contesting the local body elections, but only as independent candidates, a party spokesman here said.
However, the to-be contestants cannot use the party flag, name or pictures of either BSP founder Kanshi Ram or its president Mayawati on any hand bill, poster or banner, he added.
She has also appealed to the party`s district and Vidhan Sabha units to back contesting candidates and help them win their respective seats, he added.
On March 11, after the BSP lost the UP vidhan sabha elections to Samajwadi Party, Mayawati had directed party workers not to contest urban local bodies polls.
She had expressed fears about return of `goondaraj` in Uttar Pradesh and said BSP would not contest the upcoming local body polls, apprehending that the ruling Samajwadi Party might target its candidates.
Elections will be held for 630 urban local bodies in the state, including 13 municipal corporations, 195 Nagar Palika Parishads and 423 Nagar Panchayats soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says