Bulandshahr rape detention: SC notice to UP govt
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Wednesday took suo motu cognisance of a media report about detention of a ten-year-old girl by police in Bulandshahr in Uttar Pradesh.
The minor had approached the police to complain about rape attempt on her.
Pulling up the state government for the treatment meted out to the minor, an apex court bench headed by Chief Justice Altamas Kabir issued a notice to it and sought response by
Monday – the next date of hearing in the case.
"How can the police detain a ten-year-old girl?" the bench asked.
The incident took place last Monday when the minor girl went with her mother to a women`s police station to lodge a rape complaint against a 24-year-old.
But instead of addressing the concerns of the distraught woman and her daughter, the women officers abused and shooed away the mother while detaining the girl in the lock up, police said.
The girl was made to spend the night in the police station and was told that she "must have invited the rape".
Made to sleep on the floor, the girl was released when the local TV media recorded the incident and the footage was shown to senior police officers.
Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Gulab Singh said on Tuesday that the station house officer (SHO) and a sub-inspector have been sent to the police lines and two constables have been suspended.
He said the girl has been released from the lock-up and a probe has been ordered into the incident.
"A case against the youth who is alleged to have raped the minor girl has been lodged and efforts are on to nab him," a senior officer said.
(With agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday